Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Iron Chef of Brew Hut, Round 3! (beginner friendly) · Sat. Sep. 21st - Sun. Sep. 22nd
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Joe O\'Brien
Start: Saturday, Sep. 21st, 9:00 am
End: Sunday, Sep. 22nd, 10:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Sep. 19th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: ClubroomDescription:
BACK ONCE AGAIN - IRON CHEF OF BREW HUT - ROUND 3!
Welcome, to Brew Hut Stadium! Backcountry Chefs, please step forward and prepare to demostrate your culinary expertise. You will be called upon to craft, from deep within the mountains, food that no mere mortal has ever consumed among the azure skies and rocky outcrops which can be spied from atop Mount Brew.
Please, view this video to understand the history of the adventure into which you are embarking:
For those of you unfamiliar with this great show, the aspects of the premise of the show which are relevant to our trip are as follows:
Teams of three chefs will compete against each other for the Golden Spork. Each team, of which we will likely have four, will create a meal using the secret ingredient (not to be revealed until we reach the hut) and whatever cookstuffs and foodstuffs they have packed in with them. Each team's creation will then be sampled by a panel of three judges.
For this trip, we will need 12 chefs to work in teams of three and three judges to evaluate the chefs' labours. I will select and pack in the secret ingredient (it will be good for both savoury and sweet dishes). Teams should plan to make a meal for four (this allows the judges to sample, and ensures a fantastic potluck afterwards).
Last year we had a great trip with much good food, in fact I believe it is one of only three calorie-positive trips I have ever been on!
We will leave Vancouver Saturday morning and head up to Brew. Teams will have the afternoon to prepare their kitchen. The Iron Chef showdown will begin with 45 minutes of cooking, followed by 20 minutes of judging. We will then have a potluck of all the food, and an awarding of the Golden Spork. Sunday morning all participants are invited to try and outdo each other in their breakfast displays, in a no stakes exhibition. We will then head down and back to Vancouver with our appetite - both for food and the mountains - sated.
All participants should be comfortable with safe and respectful backcountry travel, but folks new to hiking and camping are more than welcome! If you have any questions about the trip email me or ask away on the message board.
Posted: 2019-08-14 22:14:09
Last modified: 2019-09-08 17:08:53