Members can insert new events into the calendar and signup for trips, but please read the instructions before posting.
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.

Howe Sound Kayak Camp · Sat. Sep. 14th - Sun. Sep. 15th

Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened

  • Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
  • This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
  • This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
  • Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
  • Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
  • Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
  • Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
  • Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
  • Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
  • Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Alex Wharton.

Start: Saturday, Sep. 14th, 7:00 am
End: Sunday, Sep. 15th, 8:00 pm

Description:

Hi everyone,

I want to try to organize a kayak trip up Howe Sound. I did this trip last summer and it was a lot of fun, so I want to do it again! I want to leave Jericho early on September 14 and try to kayak all the way to Squamish over the weekend. I am thinking it would make sense to camp just north of Gambier on the West Side of Howe Sound at the Thornbrough Channel txwam Cha7elkwnech campsite (see map here: https://www.bcmarinetrails.org/bc-map?mapitem=6533). On Sunday night we would be driven back to Vancouver from Squamish.

As Howe Sound can get quite windy and choppy, it can sometimes be unsafe to kayak in Howe Sound. This trip is tentative in the sense that if a few days before this weekend it looks like it's going to be stormy in Howe Sound, it will not be safe to kayak in Howe Sound, and thus we will have to cancel (or postpone) this trip.

If you sign up for this trip, please let me know your previous kayaking experience. As I am planning on attempting to kayak more than sixty kilometers over a weekend, only people who have a reasonable amount of kayaking experience will be able to come. If you sign up for this trip, you should also be able to self rescue in a kayak.

Please sign up if you're interested!

Thanks,

Alex

Posted: 2019-08-28 10:12:54
Last modified: 2019-09-06 10:03:07