VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Rock/Crevasse Rescue in Squamish [edited Oct 18] · Sat. Nov. 9th - Sun. Nov. 10th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
Warning, this trip has been cancelled : Cancelled due to lack of commitment
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Nov. 9th, 8:00 am
End: Sunday, Nov. 10th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Nov. 6th, 6:25 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
What would you do if your partner falls and is injured halfway up the Chief? What if they can't rappel on their own? How would you get yourself and them safely off the route?
Altus Mountain Guides offers VOC members a 15% discount on their courses and is willing to arrange a private Rock Rescue or Crevasse Rescue (single day) course for us if we can get 4-6 members.
In the Rock Rescue course, you'll learn some fun things like how to escape a belay, hauling systems, advanced rappelling and lowering techniques, etc. The Crevasse Rescue is a mod on their glacier travel course that is typically only available in the summer but still relevant for those who missed this opportunity from the cancelled G1.
Cost for both courses is the same: around $125/person which includes the discount and GST.
Their prerequisites for Rock Rescue state that you must have trad and multipitch experience (leading, I would assume), and for Crevasse Rescue you just need to be fit, familiar with some knots, and experience scrambling or some mountaineering.
I know that this is not an ideal time of year for a climbing course so be prepared for rain and cold weather. Please state in your signup which course you would be more interested in. Would ideally like to confirm numbers with Altus by November 1st.