VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Neil Mackenzie Adventure Grant Application OPEN! · Sun. Sep. 1st - Fri. Jan. 31st
Warning: This trip is currently underway!
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- This trip does not use the signup tool.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Sunday, Sep. 1st
End: Friday, Jan. 31st
"We, his parents, want to keep Neil’s memory alive in the VOC by awarding a grant to suitable applicants or teams who can demonstrate a wish to seek adventure in physical outdoor activities, preferably in Scotland, and help them to achieve their objectives. The funding for an adventure will be divided - part funded by VOC fundraising, part by The Neil Mackenzie Trust, and part by the applicants themselves."
-Margaret and Angus Mackenzie
This award is founded in the memory of our past VOC member Neil Mackenzie. Awards of up to $2,000 will be awarded to individuals or members of a party to pursue an outdoor adventure of their choice.
Applications are open to all members of the VOC. Applications will be judged based on:
- Spirit of adventure
- Quality and originality of trip plan
- Feasibility (financial & logistic)
- Self-propelled travel is encouraged
- Active contribution in the VOC community
- Applicants must demonstrate sufficient technical experience and background to safely complete their proposed adventure (i.e. AST / Glacier School).
- Preference for adventures held in Scotland
- Adventures in any other location will be considered
- Open to honorary, associate and student VOC members.
- Individual or small groups may apply.
- Adventures should be executed in the upcoming year 03/2020 – 03/2021
- Applications due by 11:59 pm, Pacific Standard Time, January 31, 2020.
- Award winners are expected to complete a trip report and submit a version to the VOC Journal, and to the Neil Mackenzie Trust ([email protected]). A VOCslideshow presentation following the trip is also expected.