Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
~15th Annual Jared Stanley Memorial Lecture~ · Thursday, January 23rd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Erica Haugland
Start: Thursday, Jan. 23rd, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: ANGU 350Description:
This is an interesting, emotional, and insightful talk for members of all experience levels. There will be multiple speakers that will share the same message through stories and experience - go out, love the mountains and come home safe. We encourage everyone to come out and bring your friends! The more the merrier!
This is the 15th annual lecture. We would love to see you come out, be inspired be safe in the mountains, and show your support for Jared, his family and the VOC community.
This event is open to the public, not just club members.
In January 2005, Jared Stanley, a UBC student, passed away while back country skiing on Mount Seymour. An annual memorial lecture was held for the first couple of years after Jared's death, but as many of Jared's friends and colleagues left UBC, running the event became more difficult. The VOC decided to adopt the lecture series and every year since, the VOC has hosted the Jared Stanley Memorial Lecture: this year's will be the 15th installment. While Jared wasn't a VOCer, he's the sort of guy that probably would have ended up knocking on the VOC's door at some point, so we sort of adopted him and the lecture.
Jared's family, Anna and Bob Parton, fly out from Texas every year to attend the lecture and speak a little bit about Jared. The Parton's are great speakers and great people. In previous years, after learning about SPOT devices from our guest speaker, a Search and Rescue team member, they promptly went out and bought the club a three pack of the devices because they felt that if such a device had existed back in 2005, then maybe Jared would still be with us. Much like the VOC sort of adopted Jared, the Partons sort of adopted the VOC.
Posted: 2019-12-21 16:35:26
Last modified: 2019-12-22 18:45:48