Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Make-up WinterLonghike 2020 · Sat. Feb. 8th - Sun. Feb. 9th
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Diego Adleson
Start: Saturday, Feb. 8th, 9:00 am
End: Sunday, Feb. 9th, 12:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Feb. 5th
Pre-trip meeting location: TBDDescription:
Due to unexpected high avalanche conditions in Seymour at the beginning of January I have moved this trip to the beginning of February. Hopefully conditions are better now.
Will there be a LongBike, we will see???
If you were going to the original WinterLonghike 2020 and also want to come on this one you can get preferenced to get on the going list, shoot me a message to put you on the going list!
------------------------I am not that creative so same blurb as original trip:
This is a relaxed intro to winter camping and snow caving sleeping. Do you miss Rock party at the end of September when those summer memories were still fresh, and when you could still go out and camp without a bazillion leyers? Have you never camped in the winter? Are you curious to sleep in the snow (on top of it, next to it or even UNDER IT)? Do you like mulled wine? This is the trip for you.
Those who are keen can build their own snow caves to sleep during the night, but people can also bring tent.
The trip will involve a hike into the Seymour backcountry (or another location weather depending) where you can build your own snow cave for the night followed by dinner, singing, and generally staying warm. We will hike out the next morning. This is a beginner friendly trip so people that are new to the club and winter activities are more than welcome. Trip is suitable for skiers or snowshoers, but we do not encourage skiing or going on your own walks if you do not have AST 1 and previous avalanche awareness experience.
Note that we are in the Backcountry and that you will be responsible to stay with the group, bring some warm (dry) clothes and shovel/sleeping gear. Details about what to bring will be discussed during the pre trip meeting (TBD.)
You can find some inspiration about how to build a snow cave here and here. Make sure to bring a spare pair of gloves to keep all digits warm:-)
Also here is the VOC wiki winter Longhike page. Be sure to read the "Equipment List" section to get an idea of what to bring. Remember COTTON KILLS.
Be safe and have fun!
Posted: 2020-01-10 20:45:41
Last modified: 2020-01-13 20:40:58