VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
⛷ Sphinx Bay (Reading Week) Ski Camp! 🏔 · Fri. Feb. 14th - Mon. Feb. 24th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Friday, Feb. 14th, 5:00 pm
End: Monday, Feb. 24th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Feb. 11th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: VOC Clubroom
This trip is intermediate/advanced-focused (read on below). The pretrip is mandatory!
Sphinx Bay/Burton Hut Ski Camp is back for it's 2020-Reading-Week iteration! This is not a formal trip; rather a "coordinate with other VOCers and figure your own stuff out" style trip (like Phelix New Years but with potentially less nudity due to the lack of a cozy stove).
The Sphinx Bay area is the historic site of VOC ski camps - it has some of the best skimo and backcountry opportunities around. Check out this map, and the wiki page for descriptions of all the objectives up there. Generally, you can expect some major peak bagging, simpler yo-yo skiing, or straight relaxation (digging snow caves and lounding in the sun).
The top of the Bookworms (Photo Credit: Michal Rozworski)
Required Skills: this is not a traditional VOC trip - we are not going as a whole group every step of the way. This posting is merely an organization tool to cooridnate people. You are welcome to come if you want! That said, I'd suggest having some mountaineering, skiing, and avalanche skills. They are all useful.
Organization will be done through this spreadsheet: put in the days you'll be up there, and what you plan to do. If you have extra tent space, please indicate so on the "tent groups" portion of the sheet. It is likely the hut will be over capactiy.
- If you are a driver, please indicate that on the spreadsheet and indicate how many spots you have.
- If you need a ride, find a spot with somebody who's dates line up with yours. Use the message board to contact your driver.
- If you need a tent spot, check the "tent groups" portion of the spreadsheet; please message the tent-owner too!
The pre-trip will be the last tool to finalize details.