VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Fall Skaha Climbing · Fri. Oct. 16th - Sun. Oct. 18th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Friday, Oct. 16th, 10:00 am
End: Sunday, Oct. 18th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Oct. 13th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: zoom
Please check out the club’s new guidelines prior to signing up for this or any trip! We want to make sure everyone stays safe while still getting outdoors.
Let’s go for a weekend of climbing and camping out at Skaha Bluffs before the weather starts getting too wet and cold. I and my co-leader Noah Macdonald are generally flexible on skill level but you must have some amount of climbing experience to join (i.e. Rock 1 & 2). I’m certainly a fair bit out of climbing shape so he’ll be the leader on the climbing aspects while I’ll worry mainly about getting everyone from Vancouver to Skaha. Also, Noah will be coming from Calgary, so could potentially bring a few people with him if any VOCers out there are interested in joning.
Should the trip fill up, priority will be given to those with cars and/or ropes.
About Skaha Bluffs
This is a world-class climbing destination out in the Okanagan. Despite a nearby fire this summer, the area has reopened with most routes now accessible. Given the dry climate typical of the region, we should hopefully have a better chance of a good weather window than other climbing spots closer to the coast. Generally the routes are mainly moderate sport climbs, but there are some good trad spots as well. Should be an awesome weekend of climbing if the weather is good!
Skaha is about a 5 hour drive from Vancouver. The plan is to leave sometime early-ish on Friday to maximize our climbing time. We’ll then return Sunday evening after getting our fill. If another car or two can’t leave early on Friday but think it’s worth it to drive out later we could probably meet up out there.
We will try to camp at one of the nearby campgrounds (maybe Okanagan Falls), or if that doesn’t work we can probably find an FSR somewhere.
Gas: $30-40 per person round trip (estimated)
Camping: $10 per person (estimated)
Firewood: a few bucks per person probably
Things to Bring
- camping gear (warm sleeping bag, pad, tent, etc)
- climbing gear (harness, belay device, shoes, rope if you got it)
- warm clothing/layers - nights will probably be cold
- food/cooking stuff - plan to keep cooking groups separate
- good attitude
Note: Since I've been getting a fair amount of emails from folks who seem new-ish to the club/UBC inquiring about this and other trips - just wanted to comment that there is rarely room for non-members on trips like this! If you're interested, you'll need to join the club (I promise it's worth it!!) and sign up. The people who are on the sign-up sheet get priority and I'm not super keen on trying to organize with others as it's just more work on my end, plus it isn't fair to those who are members.