VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Summer Scavenger Hunt · Sat. May. 1st - Tue. Sep. 7th
Warning: This trip is currently underway!
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, May. 1st
End: Tuesday, Sep. 7th
BEHOLD: THE 2021 VOC SUMMER SCAVENGER HUNT
Follow clues in sequential order that take you around Vancouver and the north shore!
The intention of the scavenger hunt is to provide a COVID-friendly way to get out and explore the Vancouver area. As such, all objectives are accessible both by bike and public transit from Vancouver and can be completed solo. No special gear is required to complete the scavenger hunt apart from a willingness for adventure. Objectives vary in difficulty and generally get harder as the scavenger hunt progresses.
All objectives are within this area:
1. At each objective, you will find a sign with a clue that will lead you to the next objective.
2. Take a picture or copy down the clue, please do not remove the sign!
3. Also take a picture including yourself and the objective. Once you have reached the end you can send in all of your photos as proof of completion to claim prizes!
There will be small prizes available to anyone who completes the entire scavenger hunt.
Any finishers who complete the entire hunt self-propelled will receive a special prize. Self-propelled means no motors from your doorstep and back again (including no public transit).
Additional special prizes are available to the first finisher(s).
- Best clue selfie
The winners will be announced in September and all finishers must submit their photos by September 7th, 2021 (see emails below).
Finishers will be assessed on an individual basis, but you are encouraged to collaborate and work in teams!
It is possible to reach all the objectives with public transport and no specialized gear, however bikes, boots, and something that floats may make things easier in some cases. If VOC gear rentals reopen boots, various boats and other handy gear can be rented.
The clues are purposely hidden from plain sight to protect them from the weather and the public, however yellow flagging is provided near some clues to help in locating them.
Try not to give away the clues or locations online, but you can use the VOC Message Board or Facebook group to find people to collaborate with or have general discussions.
It is not required to sign up for the trip on the VOC website, but if you do we can contact you with any changes or updates.
The difficulty of some objectives may change over the course of the summer (i.e. later season may entail less snow and lower flow, but more Devil’s Club).
Some resources that might be helpful in solving clues: google.com, earth.google.com, hillmap.com, Gaia GPS app.
Risk is an inherent part of outdoor adventures, but if something seems absurdly sketchy you are probably doing something wrong. Be safe!
If something seems wrong, missing, or impossible please let us know. In addition, we don’t want people to give up because they can’t solve a clue, so you can contact us if you are very stuck.
In May and June contact Hannah at [email protected]
In July and August contact Jess at [email protected]
If you don’t receive a reply within a few days try YYen at [email protected]
Best of Luck!