VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Heather Trail - Manning Park · Fri. Aug. 27th - Sun. Aug. 29th
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Friday, Aug. 27th, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Aug. 29th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Monday, Aug. 23rd, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: TBD
The heather trail is a roughly 38 km one-way trail in Manning Park that starts from the Blackwall parking area and goes by Three Brothers Mountain, Nicomen Lake, and ends at the Cayuse Flats parking area. While it is mostly downhill, It is not a loop trail, so unfortunately we will need twice the number of car seats as the number of people going in order to shuttle between the parking lots. I can drive four besides myself so my idea is to find another driver whose car can fit five as well, plus 3 carless folks. If there is enough interest though, I can definitely organize another car shuttle group.
The plan would be to meet up at the Cayuse Flats parking area, all jump in one car, and head up to the Blackwall parking area (pretty early as I’ve heard the Blackwall parking area is limited). From there we would hike ~13km to Kicking Horse Camp with the option of taking a detour up Three Brothers Mountain. On Saturday, we would hike ~18.5km from Kicking Horse Camp to Grainger Creek Camp, stopping around Lunchtime to take a swim in Nicomen Lake. Sunday would then be a quick ~7km to the car parked at Cayuse Flats. Optionally we could spread the mileage out differently and camp at Nicomen Lake instead of Grainger Creek, making Saturday ~9km and Sunday ~16.5km.
This trip is for anyone who has at least a little bit of backpacking experience, and who doesn’t mind a little bit of car faff (okay fine… A lot of car faff). It will cost 10 per person (5 per person per night for a wilderness camping permit) + gas money to your driver. Feel free to email me if you have any questions!