VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Mother of Ski Mountaineering; A Series · Mon. Jan. 10th - Sat. Jan. 22nd
Warning: This trip is currently underway!
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Monday, Jan. 10th
End: Saturday, Jan. 22nd
Please carefully read this entire description if you wish to join the trip.
I think its time for some intermediate people to get the chance to learn some stuff! If you’re just getting into ski touring, and have dreams of some spring mountaineering objectives, but don’t know how to get there, this is the place for you. This will be a series of trips throughout the season where you can gain some touring experience, learn more about avalanche conditions, trip planning in the winter, and some glacier skills, that will lead up to a final objective at the end. The goal is that by the end of the season, you will have made some friends to ski with, including one or two more experienced friends, and that you will feel comfortable planning and going on some similar trips on your own, without more experienced friends.
The trips will include;
- A mellow day of touring and practicing companion rescue
- A bigger day of touring in more challenging terrain
- Rope skills in the park
- Snow and glacier travel skills
- Final objective
The rope skills in the park will include hauling systems, ascending, and tying knots, as well as other useful things you may run into, familiarity with anchor systems is required for this, if this is the only thing you do not have, please talk to me about it. The snow and glacier travel skills will include self arrest practice, building snow anchors, etc. and will likely be held at Seymour, or somewhere else on actual snow.
- Lots of stoke and a positive attitude
- Commitment to all these trips and continuing to use the skills afterwards
- Have or planning to get AST-1
- Been ski touring at least once, know that you like it
- Comfortable on at least blue runs at the resort
- Backcountry overnight experience (not necessarily in the winter)
- G1 would be helpful but is not required (if you don’t have G1, Rock 2 or equivalent is also very helpful)
Myself, and a few other experienced people, are committing a huge amount of time to this trip to allow people to learn things and gain experience. The signup process for this series of trips will work differently than other VOC trips because of that. Please sign up on this post as interested with the day of the week and time that it’s most convenient for you to stop by the clubroom. After that, I will add to this trip posting when I will be hanging out in the clubroom, please come in and talk to me about the trip during one of those times. This will be starting in the first week back to classes in January since it’s pretty much exam time now. I want to get the chance to explain what the trip will be like, and know what everyone is hoping to get out of the trip. I will try to accommodate what works for everyone but if you cannot make any of the times that I post, feel free to send me an email and we can find another time.
If you’re an experienced person that is super stoked about this and wants to help out, send me an email and we can chat about it!