VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
!!! Winter Longhike !!! · Sat. Jan. 15th - Sun. Jan. 16th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jan. 15th, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Jan. 16th, 5:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Jan. 11th, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: To Be Determined - UBC Campus
Welcome to Winter Longhike!
The trip will involve a snowshoeing, building quinzhees or snow shelters for the night followed by dinner, a fire (?), and generally trying to stay warm. We will hike out the next morning. The location is to be determined based on snow/road conditions, but options include Manning Park and the Seymour Backcountry.
This is a beginner friendly trip and signup is open to everyone regardless of experience. We encourage those who are new to winter sports and camping to come along.
Note that we are in the Backcountry and that you will be responsible to stay with the group. Details about what to bring will be discussed during the mandatory pre-trip meeting.
Required Gear: see the VOC Winter Overnight Gear list https://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Gear_Lists#Winter_Overnight
Rentable from the VOC: snowshoes, packs, shovels
To arrange yourself: lots of warm clothes, a warm sleeping bag, a winter sleeping pad (can be supplemented with a VOC pad if yours is not meant for winter. Z-lites are good!), cooking supplies/stove (per group), gloves, hats, socks, etc.
Pretrip Meeting: 6:30-8:00pm Tuesday January 11th in LIFE 2212
** EDIT moved online
Topic: Winter Longhike Pretrip Meeting
Time: Jan 11, 2022 06:30 PM Vancouver
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 614 4031 3323
We will go over layering, sleep systems, shelter types, planning a route, and more winter camping basics
Gear hour: 8-9pm
The pretrip will be followed by a gear hour, where you can 'rent' snowshoes, packs, and some sleeping pads. You will need to bring your own sleeping bag as the club does not rent any. We will arrange groups of 4 for cooking. Each group will need to bring a stove/cooking supplies (keep in mind that some stoves do not work in cold temperatures, bring a whisperlite/liquid-fuel stove if you have one!).
Hope to see you there!
Alia, Jarod, and Sierra