VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Li'l Lukie's Newcastle Island Marine Provincial Park May Long Weekend Social Campout · Fri. May. 20th - Mon. May. 23rd
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going" (members can also sign themselves up as "actually going" on this trip, using the signup page).
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Friday, May. 20th, 3:00 pm
End: Monday, May. 23rd
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, May. 11th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: https://ubc.zoom.us/j/67568004954?pwd=cTZTVGRZOU9FNno3M011TytXTFIzZz09
For an experience rich in history, culture and entertainment, do what people have been doing since the 1930s - hop a boat to Newcastle Island Marine Provincial Park, one of the most intriguing parks in BC.
From a distance you'll see an island shoreline dominated by steep sandstone cliffs and ledges, interspersed with sunny beaches. Up close, you'll discover rocky caves and caverns - a marked contrast to the interior of the island, which is studded with mature Douglas fir, Garry oak, arbutus and dogwood trees.
The current plan is to catch the Friday Afternoon / Saturday Morning ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay (~4 hours), walk ~2.5 km along the freeway into a nearby marina, take a small foot-ferry from the marina to Newcastle Island, and set up a new home for Saturday and Sunday night.
Saturday afternoon and Sunday we'll explore the beautiful Newcastle Island trails, the quarry, and nearby city of Nanaimo and (hopefully) enjoy warm weather.
Monday morning we'll pack up and catch an afternoon ferry home -- all in time for work Tuesday morning.
Due to our relative proximity to the City of Nanaimo, this is an ultra-friendly trip for beginners and no experience is required.
We have 200 spots available, and the price decreases with each new member! So join the fun and bring a friend!
Cost is approximately $65 per person
breakdown as follows:
Camp-ground fees is $258 for the group ($80 / night for the campsite; minimum of 3 nights + $18 fee); split between all trip members. (assuming 20 trip goers, this fee is roughly: $258 / 20 = $13)
Individual camping fees / permits is $15 per person.
Transportation cost per person (including both ferries -- there and back): $37
Cost per person: $13 + $15 + $37 = $65
If you're marking yourself as "going" and are confident that you're coming, please e-transfer (or arrange cash payment) for the first payment (camp-site & camping fees: $33.81) to [email protected]; thanks!