VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Heather Trail - Manning Park · Sat. Jun. 18th - Sun. Jun. 19th
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jun. 18th, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Jun. 19th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jun. 15th
Pre-trip meeting location: maybe clubroom, maybe zoom
The Heather Trail in Manning Park has been on my bucket list for some time, unfortunately, last year I was unable to do it because of trail closures due to wildfires. Planning this for mid June, I hope to catch the trail during peak wildflower season, and hopefully avoid closures due to wildfires!
The plan would be to do this as an out and back hike starting at the Blackwall Peak parking area and hiking to the Nikomen Lake Campsite and back. This would make the total trip ~46km if we decide to do the optional jaunt up Three Brothers Mountain. I would like to head up Friday
afternoon/evening and hike ~5km to Buckhorn campsite so we can get an earlier start Saturday morning going the ~20km from Buckhorn to Nicomen Lake (including Three Brothers Mountain), then hiking back the ~22km back to the car from Nicomen Lake. We could also do this in two days, starting Saturday morning instead of Friday night, which would mean a later start and a longer hike on Saturday.
Another options is to do this as a ‘point A to point B’ type hike where we start at the Blackwall Peak parking area and hike to the Cayuse Flats parking area. This would require slightly less hiking, but monstrously more car faff and driving because we would have to shuttle between the two parking lots.
In order to come on this trip, you should have at least some backpacking experience, and be comfortable with hiking ~20 km in a day with an overnight pack. If you are apprehensive about signing up, but are interested in coming (or have any other quesitons), please shoot me a quick email!