VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Hiking Golden Hinde · Sat. May. 28th - Sat. Jun. 4th
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- External Link: For extra information not hosted on the VOC site.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, May. 28th
End: Saturday, Jun. 4th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, May. 11th, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Nest
Feeling like going on a true backcountry adventure? Join me to climb the highest mountain on Vancouver Island, the Golden Hinde.
I would consider the hike hard, as it's a backcountry hike with alot of ups and downs. I am planning to approach Golden Hinde from the south, which is the most common and arguably the easiest route. This would be a 60 km roundtrip with about 6000m elevation gain. I am aiming for four days.
Since this trail is off the grid and ends in a fairly steep scramble, backcountry hiking experience would be appreciated, but as long as you're sure-footed and happy to bushwack through no man's land you'll be fine.
I do have some equipment that could be shared, like tent, cooker, InReach Mini, etc..
I'm pretty flexible about the whole trip, anytime starting May 28th and finishing until June 4th. I'm also open to suggestions about the route and the duration of the trip as there are other approaches (north to south one-way looks interessting, requires more planning though). Logistics are still to be organized as I don't have a car.
Hit me up if you feel like heading out into the wild, taking a dip in crystal clear lakes and sleeping under the stars in the heart of Vancouver Island.
Edit: Reschedule pre-trip meeting, didn't see the overlap with Son of Rock