VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Work Hike: The Riddle of the Sphinx · Sat. Aug. 4th - Mon. Aug. 6th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Aug. 4th
End: Monday, Aug. 6th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Aug. 1st, 5:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
Beginner friendly workhike to Sphinx Hut. Window replacement, wash down the walls, test the Coleman appliances, look for junk which might have gotten swept out of the Hut along with the snow.
The route in goes up the Helm Glacier and down Gentian Pass, and will likely take most of a day. Helm Glacier is relatively benign, so we should not need ice axes, crampons, or any of the usual glacier hardware. Good boots, and gaiters should be good enough.
We will be hauling in the usual stuff for installing windows but we don't have to haul in the window; this was done earlier in the year when the lake was still frozen.