VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
[WORKHIKE] Brian Waddington Hut Roof Renewal (All Welcome) · Thu. Jun. 1st - Thu. Aug. 31st
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Thursday, Jun. 1st
End: Thursday, Aug. 31st
As you may or may not know, the VOC’s Brian Waddington Hut saw some significant roof damage from snow load this winter, culminating in a partial failure in March. Although a team of valiant club members were able to reattach the roof, the hut needs a significant overhaul if it is to continue to exist as a viable backcountry destination.
Simply put, the project will involve stripping down the existing roof and reframing it. With this in mind, the VOC is planning a significant effort over the summer, which will require much funding, expertise, and volunteer hours. We are planning to spend a couple of weeks at the hut in late July/early August to complete the renovation.
We are currently in the planning stages, and there is much to consider with regards to logistics, design, and project management. If you are interested in writing letters, talking to donors, drawing on connections, planning roof construction, doing framing, or just working hard and swinging a hammer, you will make a great addition to the team.
We are especially in need of people with structural design or construction logistics skills, and appreciate any leads in this realm. That being said, whatever skillset you bring, you are also most welcome and needed!!!
This is a monumental undertaking. The Brian Waddington Hut has been open to all non-motorized users since 1998, and has served as a location for countless club trips and traditions. This summer’s effort will be fundamental to ensuring this place of backcountry community remains accessible to members and non-members alike well into the future. If this project and the legacy it will bring is something you are interested in helping with (even if you don’t know how) please reach out to the VOC, and we will be glad to include you when and as details are solidified.
UBC Varsity Outdoor Club Executive
Posted: 2023-04-26 16:48:08
Last modified: 2023-05-26 17:45:38