VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Workshop in caving techniques (2nd session) · Tuesday, August 27th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Tuesday, Aug. 27th, 6:00 pm
End: Tuesday, Aug. 27th, 8:00 pm
Second in a series of 4 sessions of basic progression techniques in vertical fixed ropes (single rope technique).
Although a bit of experience handling ropes will make it easier for you, it is not absolutely necessary since we'll teach everything you'll need. There is no rock climbing involved, just using ascenders and descenders to move through fixed ropes.
The workshop will consist of 4 sessions (a la Lead Ladder). The content will be adjusted depending on how much time we actually take in some of the activities and the venues we find available.
For this second session the objectives are:
1. Practicing change of direction in the middle of the rope. (changeover)
2. Learn how to pass knots in the rope.
The session will be carried out in the VOC climbing wall in the Norm theater in the SUB.
You must have been present in session 1 or be proficient ascending using the "frog" technique and rappeling using either a "rack" or a "stop" descender.
Mandatory videos for this session are:
- Passing knots (we'll use a slightly modofied technique without backup line but this is the closest video I could find)
Same gear list applies (see below). Again, it's OK if you don't have everything, but as you realized already, things are less faffy if you have your own. Based on what we did last session, try to prepare ahead of time your system (foot loop, webbing from harness to fist ascender, chest harness and cowstail) so that we just fill in with the ascenders.
- 3 locking biners
- 2 non locking biners
- Accessory webbing (3 m) for chest harness*
- 2.5 m of 9 mm or thicker DYNAMIC rope * for cowstails
- Some sort of webbing (3 m) for footloops.*
- Belay device in case we have to pretend it’s a descender due to gear shortage.
- If you have maillions, bring them
- OPTIONAL: helmet
*For the practice sessions, we can use slings or webbing you have already. If going caving in reality, you might have to buy some material. Not too expensive.