VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Annual Veenstra Moderate Friendly Summer Traverse - Valentine Gates · Sat. Jul. 9th - Sun. Jul. 10th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jul. 9th
End: Sunday, Jul. 10th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jul. 6th, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Spanish Banks beside the VOC BBQ - where Tolmie meets the ocean MAP
That's right - the Annual Veenstra Summer Traverse!
See the wiki page for full details, especially about trip difficulty and the committed nature of traverses in general. If you are not sure email me, or better yet - post on the message board.
No, this trip isn't about traversing the gates of our noble president's heart (although you can always hope) - it's an alpine traverse of the beautiful Place Glacier area from Valentine Lake to Gates Lake.
We’ll need a variety of different kinds of people to make this trip happen. Mostly we’ll need:
* Good hikers
* People who can get up earlier than everybody else and do a car shuttle. Ideally we leave 1 getaway car for every 5 drivers.
* People who can drive, still getting up pretty early (although not quite as early as the shuttlers) whisking us safely in between the city and the mountains.
* People who know things about glaciers, preferably who also bring their own ropes. Ideally we’d have 2 of these people per rope... but maybe we’ll have to be satisfied with fewer.
* People who own tents, and people who own stoves, and are willing to share
* Keen people who’ve never been on a glacier before to remind us old timers of the magic and wonder we might not feel ourselves anymore, just from being on a glacier.
* Attractive young ladies, to keep our spirits high
* Attractive young men, because ladies don’t do it for everybody
Go ahead and indicate your interest here, and if you are one of those "special types" indicated who we need to make this trip happen (especially drivers). We will sort out who's actually coming at the pre-trip, but please if you are no longer interested then remove your name - it makes the job of organizing so much easier.