VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Intro To Bike Touring and Eco. Conservation (Uber Beginner Friendly) · Sat. Apr. 25th - Sun. Apr. 26th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Apr. 25th, 8:00 am
End: Sunday, Apr. 26th, 8:00 pm
Baffled by Bikes? Muddled by mechanics? I, Byron Wilson, masters of science candidate, will help bring clarity to all your touring woes.
The VOC is partnering with the Student Environmental Centre and UBC bike coop to enjoy a pleasant trip to Wildwood Forest – one of the first sustainably managed forests in Canada. Once there, we will have a guided tour of the premise and then camp and drink with our new friends in the partnering clubs. Wildwood is located near Nanaimo, and we will be taking the ferry. SEC will be assisting in the cost of the ferry ride, but you are expected to donate some money to the eco-forest for letting us camp, giving us a tour and to help them survive.
No prior camping experience required. In addition, it is designed for non-VOCers in terms of difficulty, making it the first ever actually beginner friendly trip. Everyone is welcome, however you need your own bike. Everything else will either be cheap to purchase, or can be borrowed/shared with others. If you are worried that your bike wont make it, the bike coop is hosting a repair session specifically for this trip, so you will be able to tune your bike to perfect shape. You can also go to the bike kitchen at any time in the weeks leading up to this trip. Please do this if you have any doubt about your bike, we would much rather help you fix your bike in Vancouver than on the road.
For the experienced Member:
Titillated by touring? Grounded by groupos? This trip needs you to make the gears turn as smoothly as possible. As stated, this trip will have non-VOC members with little to no camping experience. All the help you can provide on the road and at the campsite would be appreciated.
Lets put the fun between our legs