Archive:2010 Brew recce trip
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened. Please do not sign up for it.|
May 22 - 23 - 24.
- This is a three day weekend, but we probably have a max of 2 days work to do on the recce, so we have time for some serious hiking around in addition to working. If you want to stay only one night, that should also work, depending on your driver.
- The plan is to go up to our Brew Hut, and take measurements and notes and otherwise fine tune our plans for the two renovation trips which will happen in June. We will probably not do a lot of work on this trip unless we get bored.
- Beginners, the New, the Old, the Experienced, the Inexperienced
- If you have never been to Brew, now is your chance.
- Hut holds around 15 people, or fewer if it's nice enough to sleep outside. The Hut is warm (hot) so you do not need a very warm sleeping bag; probably blankets would work.
- Expect snow on the ground between the logging road and the Hut (around 5 kms), but it should be good spring snow so we should be able to walk on it without skis, snowshoes or other technology. This is a good time to go up there because the logging road should be mostly driveable, and the snow in the forest keeps the shrubberies from being too annoying.
Special Equipment Needed
- Sunglasses and sunscreen and a hat with a brim, just in case it's sunny. You wouldn't want to go snowblind.
- the usual waterproof gear in case it isn't sunny. Please don't wear cotton pants if it is raining. The guy who did that last trip promised to write about the dangers of cotton pants and hypothermia, but I guess he hasn't gotten around to it yet.
- Food: 3 lunches, 2 breakfasts, 2 dinners. There's a Coleman stove up there so if you or your carload brings about a litre of white gas, you won't need to bring a stove.
- suitable drinking water, cameras, gloves, etc. I think we won't need tools for this trip.
- The pre-trip meeting will be held at Locarno Beach (beach at the base of Tolmie St.) Wednesday, May 19 at 7:00. There should be ultimate as well.
- We'll use this meeting to arrange rides, confirm who's coming, and work out anything else that needs working out.
- If you can't make it but still want to come, no worries! Just email Geoff or Roland to let us know you're coming and email one of the drivers to arrange for a ride (if you need one).
Signup List (Hut holds 15 +/-)
- Roland Burton
- Geoff "couscous has betrayed me" Martin
- Cécile Repellin
- Ron Maharik
- Dana Hoffmann
Rides, Cars, drivers, passengers
- Roland, room for four passengers, preferably from near UBC (Talk to me if you want a ride)
- Cécile Repellin
- Ron & Dana, room for up to 3 passengers (if we squeeze). Leaving from Kits. Returning Sunday