Archive:Brew Hut Nov 23 2008
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened. Please do not sign up for it.|
Veenstra is organizing a beginner trip to the Brew Hut. People interested in participating should probably have some winter camping skills, have carried an over night pack and have been on backcountry skis before or be very keen/tough/willing to suffer a bit. The last point is key - if you don't mind suffering and are in reasonable shape, I'll make sure you make it to the hut.
In fact, that's the whole point. This should be a trip in the classic VOC skiing style - a bunch of keen VOCers, never having been on tele skis before, will tough their way up to the hut and discover that (despite the suffering) they really love the mountains in winter. Exchange students who've never seen snow before are ideal, and this is probably the best place to start if you want to be skiing across the Garibaldi Neve this spring (this, or one of Roland's Red Heather trips...).
Past trips of this style have taken anywhere from 4 to 17.5 hours to reach the hut (in the good old days before GPSs sometimes they didn't find the hut at all). Days are short and the snow is fluffy - so put your headlamp at the top of your pack.
The trip meeting is Wednesday November 19st, 6:00pm, in the clubroom
The trip is November 22nd - 23rd, 2008
- Gear_lists#ski_hut_trip or see
Note that you can borrow equipment from the club for free. Gear_rental does require a cash deposit, however.
Please consult the above links for all information regarding proper skiing clothing and gear. In winter especially, none of your clothing should be made out of cotton. Anything wool or synthetic is probably safe. Just remember, Cotton Kills.
Stuff you need from the club probably includes:
- Skis (bindings are adjustable, ask when you pick them up, make sure they fit your boots)
- Skins (ask the QM - they let your skis go uphill, quite necessary for this trip. Make sure they fit your skis)
- Boots (make sure they fit your feet, and your skis)
- Poles (the Club is very short of poles, consider Cheapskates, MEC, or borrowing)
- Avy transceiver
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened on 22-11-2008. Please do not sign up for it.|
Nominal capacity is 12, and the most I've ever seem the hut hold was 16 (it was crowded). Let's try and keep enough hut space for the beginners, and those looking after them.
Signup for hut space. Letter (X) indicates in car X
Trip leaders (email me first)
- Lee Wasilenko (B)
- Scott Webster (AST-2, better at skiing when there is snow) (C)
- Roland (Tenting) (D)
Beginners (please indicate skill level - both skiing and avalanche)
- Laura Catton - beginner at telemark skiing and avalanche (haven't done AST-1 yet), intermediate at epicness, expert at wiki sign-up. is going to practice her backcountry cooking skills :-D (B)
- Ignacio R (complete backcountry noob, moderate tolerance to pain, wouldn't mind sharing a tent) (A)
- Jack Montpellier (cross-country skiing once - no avalanche course) (A)
- Eliza Boyce - very rusty crosscountry and avalanche skills - effectively beginner (E)
- Breanne Johnson (intermediate skier, beginner at telemark, no AST-1 yet) (C)
- Kate Robinson (intermediate skier, beginner at telemark, no AST-1 yet) (C)
- Bob Lai (AST1, moderate/intermediate at tele, can tent but does not have a 4 season tent) (B)
- Benjamin Webb (never skied before...but is willing to take the pain) (A)
- Eleanor H (fair but of on track cross country experience but no back country, some v basic avalanche training) (E)
- Sarah Long (D)
- Silja Hund (D)
- Tony Higginson (E)
- Ran Z (D)
This trip is full. Do not sign up for it.
Waitlist The upper limit on trip participants is set at its current numbers. People may drop out, if you're really keen show up for the trip meeting and you can claim one of these spots if it appears (Priority to new spots goes first in order of people from the waitlist here who show up for the trip meeting, then in order of the waitlist here).
- Meg Anderson
- Phil Tomlinson - can bring tent
- james marklew
- Rozzy Pedder - can bring tent
- Adam Palmblad (AST 1, decent skier, tele beginner, can bring a tent, car)
- Mattias Lange Nielsen (decent teleskier)
- Robert Krauss (expert snowboarder, has tent and car)
- Jasper Clarke
Extra space on the trip for people with tents depended on the number of experienced people who are coming with tents, the trip is capped at its current numbers
- Veenstra (A)
- Line (A)
- Madeleine MP (D)
- Evan Morris (AST2, can tent) (B)
Beginner tenters (please don't throw your names over here yet - Greta was moved from her space on the hut signup. The trip is capped at its current numbers)
- Greta Raymant (no avi, intermediate skier, can tent) (B)
Please indicate here if you have a car, where you are leaving from and how many people you can transport.
Veenstramobile, leaving from Dunbar and 21st (A)
- Ben W
- Jack Montpellier
Hoonmobile, leaving from Broadway and Alma (B)
Scott's Car, leaving from Oak and 19th (C) (ideally the 4th person is small, the car is very full with 4 people and skis)
- Scott W.
- Breanne Johnson (UBC)
- Kate Robinson
Roland's Car, leaving from Dunbar and 38th, but picking up Madeleine in East Van (D)
- Roland Burton
- Sarah L
- Madeleine M-P
- Ran Z