Archive:Mt Baker June 2008
This trip requires abundant good weather and abundant sun protection. If it is sufficiently hot, you might need skis or snowshoes, though we did it in boots in slush once and it was a lot of work breaking trail. Other toys you should bring include a rope and a plan for getting out of crevasses, should you fall in one.
The usual schedule is to have a leisurely Saturday and camp either at the usual spot beside the Coleman Glacier or further west, at the end of Heliotrope Ridge. Then get up pretty early Sunday and try to get a long ways up before the snow softens too much.
This area is part of a National Park, so it is pretty well regulated. Party size must not exceed 12 people (or people + horses), or party will be fined and embarrassed. Splitting into two parties who claim to not know each other, is not acceptable. And there are no toilets up there and you have to poop in plastic bags and carry it out. Get the bags where you register at the Glacier Ranger Station, and where you pay to park.
Avoid US Holidays as they are a zoo up there.
- Ice axe
- One rope per team
- Skis, snowshoes or a willingness to slog hard
- Overnight gear (tent, stove, sleeping bag etc.)
- prusiks, locking biners, picket (~1 per team)
- Krystil Koethler
- Scott Webster
- Jean Filion (778) 233-6579 Gear: 2 person (can fit 3) 4-season tent, harness, crampons, ice axes.
- Anne Vialettes
- Jason Bedard
- Anton Bezglasnyy (604 763 3641) Gear: 2 person, 4 season tent, stove+pot, harness, crampons, ice axe.
- Jordan Best Gear: 2 person tent, stove/pots, all my own climbing jazz, skis
- Eric DeGiuli; harness, ice axe, NO skis
- Miriam Gantert; harness, nothing much else
- Chris Petrus
- Chris Michalak
- Ashlee Jollymore
- Philippe Le Billon
- For people who don't have a ride.
|Krystil Koethler||SKI||1||1 - Krystil - 2p|| CHRIS M.|
|Chris Michalak||SKI||1||1 - Krystil - 2p|| CHRIS M.|
|Scott Webster||SKI||1||2 - Scott - 2p|| CHRIS M.|
|Anne Vialettes||SKI||2||2 - Scott - 2p|| CHRIS P.|
|Jason Bedard||SKI||2||4|| CHRIS P.|
|Jordan Best||SKI||2||3 - Jordan - 2p|| JORDAN|
|Ashlee Jollymore||SKI||3||5 - Jean - 2p|| ASHLEE|
|Chris Petrus||SKI||3||4|| CHRIS P.|
|Eric DeGiuli||CLIMBER||4 - Jean 70m||3 - Jordan - 2p|| JORDAN|
|Jean Filion||CLIMBER||4 - Jean 70m||5 - Jean - 2p|| JORDAN|
|Miriam Gantert||CLIMBER||4 - Jean 70m||6 - Anton - 2p|| ASHLEE|
|Anton Bezglasnyy||CLIMBER||4 - Jean 70m||6 - Anton - 2p|| JORDAN|