Archive:Tantalus Scrambling August 2008
from Aug 2-4 long weekend to Labour Day (September) Long weekend Cancelled due to an act of God.
This trip will involve a Tantalus_Range#Tyrolean river crossing. We would like to have somebody who knows what they are doing. If you know what you're doing, indicate so on the sign-up please!
Bring gloves for handling the disgusting metal cable, or it will be unpleasant.
We will be going to Lake Lovelywater and doing 1 or 2 days of scrambling from there. See Tantalus_Range or Matt Gunn's guidebook for more details on the available scrambles. Maria will be doing 1 or 2 of the easier routes at a reasonable pace.
Never scrambled? Wondering about safety/equipment? Here are some pointers.
- Each route has its own set of dangers which you should research before heading out. Matt Gunn's and Bruce Fairley's guidebooks are good references. Maria has a copy of Matt Gunn's book that she will bring, so does the club.
- Having a climbing helmet is important to protect you from the danger of falling rocks. All routes at Lake Lovelywater are subject to rockfall hazard.
- You must be able to tell when a route is so hard that you have a non-negligible chance of falling off. If it is, then you probably don't go there. Having climbing experience will help in making this judgment.
- If there is glacier traversing then the standard crevasse dangers apply.
- If there are steep snow slopes on the route you must have an ice axe (and possibly crampons), and know how to use it.
This trip does NOT have a limit on the number of people that can go. .. well, if there are 30 it may be unwieldly, but it won't come to that.
Please post cars with # of available seats, departure and return times.