Carlys Secret Stuff
When on the go, be it Trail Running, Ski Touring, Multi-pitch climbing, eating early and eating steadily is probably the best thing you can do to keep you energy high throughout the day and avoid the dreaded 'wall'. Carly P shared this recipe for sweet potato paste which you can customize with different amounts of carbs/fats depending on what you're used to and different tastes.
Recipe makes two tubes which is ~5 hours of moderate activity.
- 2 Sweet potatoes / Yams
- 10-20 ml Olive Oil / Butter
- [Spice Mix A] Nutmeg / Cinnamon / Cloves / Allspice / Brown Sugar
- [Spice Mix B] Cumin / Curry / Garlic / Salt / Pepper
- [Spice Mix C] Cayenne Powder / Garlic / Salt / Pepper
- [Spice Mix D] Cinnamon / Maple Syrup / Honey
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- Wash the sweet potatoes and without peeling, poke holes with a fork
- Bake for ~1 hour at 400F, rotate tubers at 30 minutes
- When ready, the sweet potatoes should feel consistently soft when punctured through the middle with a chopstick
- Peel the sweet potatoes
- Pulverize sweet potatoes in a blender, food processor or with a hand-masher until they are smooth
- Add olive oil or butter while mashing
- Divide out roughly a cup of mashed potatoes and mix in spices to taste
- Spoon/pour paste into the squeeze bottle incrementally. Slam bottle firmly to get rid of air bubbles after each addition.
- Experiment with different flavours which you enjoy before your big run.
- Having one sweet and one savory paste is better then two of the same. Variety is the spice of life.
- Using a food processor is really great, the whole thing can be whipped up until it forms almost a thick cream of carb-goodness
- Remember to eat early and eat consistently when active, the tubes work great because you can have them always accessible and just take a mouthful at a time every few minutes.