VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Going for the Gold (The Golden Hinde) · Thu. Aug. 17th - Mon. Aug. 21st
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Thursday, Aug. 17th, 5:00 pm
End: Monday, Aug. 21st, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Monday, Aug. 7th, 6:00 pm
In the spirit of the summer peak bagging challenge, and since I happen to be on Vancouver Island, lets summit the highest peak on the island!
In this trip we will be following the route laid out in Robin Tivy's excellent Trip Report which you can read here: https://bivouac.com//TripPg.asp?TripId=5003 . The route has gorgeous views. Robin and his team (including Besty Waddington!) took a very lesuirely 7 days to complete the trip. Some have accomplished the feat of doing it in a single day. I am thinking for this trip we should take anywhere from 3 to 5 days. It would be pretty sweet to time up our summit of the Golden Hinde with the solar eclipse (how much more golden can you get?). It would be great if we got clear skies that particular weekend, but you never know. We may move the trip depending on weather.
There are numerous peaks along the way: P1 Peak (1730), P2 Peak (1706), Terror Bump (1630), Burman (1754), Golden Hinde (2197). Two other peaks close by that we could venture over to if time permits are Greig Ridge Peak (1747) and The Behinde (2018) (may be perfect for a behind shot to get more points!)
The tairns are supposedly gorgeously clear and realtivley warm come august (15C) which is another bonus for swimming!
The route to the top of Golden Hinde is a Class 3 rock scramble so you don't need any climbing gear inorder to summit. Good hiking shoes are a must. If any beginners are eager to come on this trip but need help, don't hesitate to drop me an email and I will do what I can to help you out.