Exec reports - Trips Coordinator
The Trips Coordinator :
- Ensures that outdoor activities are available to members of the Varsity Outdoor Club, particularly new members who may not be prepared to organize activities on their own.
- Coerces competent Club members into leading trips, particularly when the weather is good and exams are not imminent, i.e. in September, October and January.
- Makes sure the trip agenda is brimming with trips and other VOC activities.
- Acts as a resource for members who may want to organize their own trips.
- Organizes the Intro Night (see, for example, [Intro_night_2010]).
- Co-ordinates the fall Glacier school, Avalanche course, Winter Longhike, and Son of Rock. Note that most of these trips have logistics pages linked to from their main page to assist with organization. Worth a read, rather than reinventing the wheel.
- A good position for somebody who truly likes to get out and about, and knows their way around in the outdoors, and is prepared to take beginners and unknowns on activities, and can coerce others into doing the same.
Getting people to run good trips
Well in advance is the key, especially when people have the most time. Get the summer and September down (~1 trip per weekend) at the exec potluck. Sept-October and Jan-Feb are the most important times - people have time to run trips and members have time to go on them. Try to make sure there are 2 trips per weekend, months in advance, these times of year.
The ACC forces everybody who takes their mountaineering course to run a trip... we should consider this for glacier school participants. Trips don't have to be hardcore, we just need to get people outside and used to the idea of organizing.
All exec are supposed to run 2 trips per semester, but most will only manage 1.
Suggested timeline for the trips coordinator
- Send out monthly emails to encourage the new exec to run trips in the upcoming month
- As soon as a new booking person have been chosen, book rooms for Intronight and dry school
- Encourage exec and other random members to run trips (self-propelled adventures, hiking and mountaineering trips are good this time a year)
- Organize Intronight
- Co-ordinate glacier school. Information about the trip can be found on Glacier school and a suggested time line for the organization can be found on Glacier school logistics
- Encourage exec and other random members to run trips (kayaking and hotspring trips are good this time a year)
- Contact Canada West Mountain School to find weekends for the avalanche courses throughout the winter. Information about the courses can be found on Avalanche course and a suggested time line for the organization can be found on Avalanche course logistics
- Encourage exec and other random members to run trips (powder skiing hut trips and snow shoe trips are good this time a year)
- Co-ordinate Winter Longhike. Information about the trip can be found on Winter Longhike and a suggested time line for the organization can be found on Winter Longhike logistics
- Co-ordinate sign-up and other details regarding the avalanche courses. Se Avalanche course logistics
- Encourage exec and other random members to run trips (skiing trips and Neve crossings are good this time a year)
- Encourage exec and other random members to run trips (skiing trips, early season climbing, ski mountaineering and traverses are good this time a year)
- Co-ordinate Son of Rock. Information about the trip can be found here: Son of Rock