VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Glacier School - G1 Instructors · Sat. Sep. 23rd, 2023 - Sun. Sep. 24th, 2023
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- External Link: For extra information not hosted on the VOC site.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Sep. 23rd
End: Sunday, Sep. 24th
Pre-trip meeting: Monday, Sep. 18th, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: VOC Clubroom
This is the instructor signup page for G1. If you are a student, please sign up here:
We are currently looking for G1 instructors! If you are interested and even tentatively available to instruct, please sign up here! We can worry about being able to make it closer to the actual date - I'm mostly looking for a list of names to bother later in the year right now.
Optimally, instructors will teach in pairs to a group of four students. We're expecting to have about 40 students, so we need a lot of instructors. Please sign up. Teaching will involve going over and demonstrating most of the material in the VOC glacier manual in a multi-day course. Once assigned a group, you will be teaching essential knots and basic rescue techniques (prusik self-rescue, basic hauling setups) at the post-pretrip dry school. During the actual trip, you will be demonstrating these skills to your students on a glacier, along with other techniques including ice axe usage, travelling as a rope team, and walking in crampons.
Not sure if you're qualified to teach? Reach out to me either through email or in our dedicated discord thread! A good starting point is if you've done G1 already and have used your skills a couple of times outdoors. We will be trying to pair less-experienced instructors with more senior people, so don't stress!
Need motivation to instruct? We will be prioritizing G2 spots this year for G1 instructors - it should be the perfect refresher before you move on!