This is a list of things the club (ie exec) should pick dates for early in their term, to limit craziness to a dull roar. Note that there are a lot of things that every exec needs to do not listed here.
- 1 Important Dates
- 2 Vice President
- 3 Membership Chair
- 4 FMCBC ACC Representative
- 5 Trips Coordinator
- 6 Huts Coordinator
- 7 Quartermasters
- 8 Journal Editor
- 9 Archivist
- 10 Somebody
|4||Academic Year Begins|
|31||VOC Membership Expiry Date|
|October||8||University Closed. Thanksgiving.|
|November||12||University Closed. Remembrance Day.|
|30||Last day of classes.|
|December||19||Last day of exams.|
|31||New Years Eve|
|2019||January||1||New Years Day|
|2||Term 2 Begins|
|15||Deadline for Submissions to the VOCJ|
|February||16||First day of Reading Week|
|24||Last day of Reading Week|
|19||University Closed. Good Friday|
|22||University Closed. Easter Monday|
|April||4||Last day of classes.|
|26||Last day of exams.|
|May||1||End of Fiscal Year|
Take care of the big social gatherings, all the details are described in the exec report, but a few things need to get booked as soon as possible.
- Book date and location. Ideally the date is in the end of 2nd term just before exams start and the location allows music and dancing after 11pm.
- Sort out other details: Liquor, slideshow (if there is going to be one), DJ ect.
Rock Party (aka. Longhike)
- Last week of September
- Contact Evans Lake to book date
- Secure a venue, liquor license, DJ, ect.
- Sort out other detail: finding instructors, sell tickets ect.
- Set date and book location
- Sort out other details like slideshow ect.
- Sarah books it Dec. 2nd in MASS
Jared Stanley Memorial Lecture
- Set date
- Book speaker and find movie
- Sort out details like advertisement ect.
Son of Rock
- Spring time sometime
- Secure a venue, ect.
- Sort out other detail: finding instructors, sell tickets ect.
Recruiting new members
There are a couple of events in the beginning for first term. These need some preplanning like copying pamphlets, finding volunteers ect.
- Main carnival event, first day of classes.
- Club days, mid September. Try to get a good booth
- Other random events, like mini club days at Place Vanier
Update membership forms
Enter all the membership forms into the computer as soon as you can. Go to the clubroom a few days a week at lunch to help people sign up and to check your mailbox for new forms
Make sure FMCBC gets their $10 per member (liaise with Treasurer):
- First instalment needs to be paid in May (usually $3000, actually wants the payment in April but since our fiscal year starts in May we can probably delay, this is less critical for us since we don't use the FMCBC insurance)
- Second instalment needs to be paid when membership numbers are "finalized," usually the following March/April
- Attend the FMCBC AGM (usually in June, this year in Prince George, June 6)
- Send ACC the list of student members so they can get their free ACC membership, but wait long enough for most to join (November is probably a good time)
Intro night for new members
- Set date for 'Intro evening for new members' and book a room. The date should be just after club days
- Make sure lots of beginner friendly trips are coming up in the near future
- G2 on the 2nd weekend of September
- G1 on the 3rd weekend of September
- Book date and location (contact the Flavelles to find out if they were ok with a large group if going up to Cerise)
- Sort out other details like finding instructors, buying prussiks ect.
- Last year 3 different sessions was run
- Secure dates with Linda Knight (secretary at Canada West Mountain school)
- Sort out details like advertisement, payment ect.
- Set date
- Sort out details like instructors, location ect.
There are a lot of tasks which should be done eventually by a keen leader, and some which need to get done every year just to maintain the status quo. See the Exec Report Page for a full position description and the Hut Maintenance page for learning what things need to be fixed/improved.
- Winter: Sphinx - Empty Cash Box - BC Parks allows us to have a cash box in the hut so long as we empty it every year.
- Spring: Brew - Empty Outhouse (every 2 years) - This is best done with a high snow level so the back can be accessed easily and the waste can be dragged in the poop sled to the treed area 100m north. IF done in late spring, with hot weather then the water barrel may be unfrozen and able to be used. The Mechanical Unit should be checked frequently to ensure it is still working properly.
- Summer: Brew - How many VOCers does it take to replace a Helicopter 2016 TR 2016 2017 2018 - On year one, we chop up deadfall down low on the trail and haul it up to the lake. The next year, we haul the wood up from the lake to Hut. The hut needs roughly 1000 lbs of firewood per winter and so every 5 years you may need to supplement our manual wood hauling with a helicopter. Try to time up other hut related projects with this.
- Fall: Phelix - Helicopter Wood Hauling (every 2 years) - With Phelix's new wood stove, the VOC needs to provide firewood so that the alpine environment can be preserved. Although we are not certain of what the hut will consume just yet, we anticipate at a minimum, 1000lbs of firewood will be needed each year. This should be flown in each year. Contact firewood suppliers two months in advance. Plan to run this trip in early fall so that you can take advantage of nice weather (which you need for the helicopter) and cold temperatures (which increase the weight that the helicopter can carry and thus decrease it's fuel cost saving you money).
As Needed Workhikes
- Generally cleaning/removal of garbage/collection of donations from all huts
- Outhouse pit maintenance for Phelix and Sphinx.
- Improvements to Hut facilities such as windows, stoves, solar lighting, tables, ect.
- Ensure sufficient gear is available for Rock Party – in recent years that involved buying ropes / a rope just before
- Fix/gather/organise ski gear in time for skiing season – repair bindings, pair up skins+skis.
- Check on MEC Fall Gearswap, organize VOC attack party
- Check on MEC Spring Gearswap, organize VOC attack party
- Gear repair night(s)
- Especially at the end of the second term, but also throughout the year – chase people down who keep gear for longer than they should
- Start prying for articles
- Start prying for advertisers
- Get quotes (will provide minimum timeframe for printing)
- Deadline for ad submission (well before actual deadline)
- Deadline for article submission (well before actual deadline)
- Start editing
- Set photo contest rules/date
- Judge photo contest
- Finish digitizing the journals
- Convert them into text pdf files
- Put library catalogue into the new software on the club's computer (Alexandria)
- Buy a bar code reader
- Submit a copy of the journal to the UBC library and Vancouver library. Send TWO copies to the national archives in Ottawa.
Rad trips which should happen every year
- Daughter of Ice (only when its cold enough that we don't ruin what little ice is close to Vancouver with 40 people)
- Avalanche Companion Rescue Drills (at the beginning of winter)
- Tele School (2nd week of January)
- Intro to Backcountry Skiing (3rd week of January)
- Mountaineering Camp
- Intro to Ski Mountaineering
- Iron Chef
- Brew Debacle (2nd week of November, Early season Brew "gear walk" aka. how to strap skis to your pack)
- Snowshoe Debacle